Harvard/IDB Infrastructure 360 Award Case Study: PALMATIR WIND POWER PROJECT -URUGUAY

Free!

Description

This case study outlines the evaluation of the Palmatir Wind Power project, also known as Wind Farm Peralta.  The project is located in the Province of Tacuarembo, Uruguay, 12 km away from the municipality of Cuchilla de Peralta (population 300).  The region’s biggest populated area is Paso de los Toros, approximately 22 km south, with a population of 13,000 inhabitants.

The assessment methodology used as a framework to evaluate this project is the Envision Rating System for Sustainable Infrastructure Version 2.01, developed by the Zofnass Program at Harvard University.

At the moment, Uruguay has an energy matrix that relies almost entirely on energy from hydroelectric power plants, representing up to 73% of its annual demand.  The remaining 27% of the yearly annual consumption is produced almost totally in thermoelectric plants that run on imported fossil fuels.  In this context, Wind Farm Peralta is important not only because it will contribute to produce clean energy for Uruguay, but also because it will help to diversify the country’s energy matrix and, increasing its
resilience.

Wind Farm Peralta – under construction in July 2013 – is being developed by PALMATIR S.A.  This company will sell the energy produced at the aeolic energy plant to the National Administration of Power Stations and Transmission Lines (Administración Nacional de Usinas y Transmisiones Eléctricas – UTE).

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Harvard/IDB Infrastructure 360 Award Case Study: PALMATIR WIND POWER PROJECT -URUGUAY”